Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 4: A Multisensory Experience

Miles: 560~
States: 2 - Colorado and Nebraska
Tolls: 0
Highway Patrol: 9 (out in force!)
Wild Turkeys 3

During this very long leg of my roadtrip there were several things that struck me - and my senses - about this drive...

1. The Smells. Cow manure. Fire/smoke. Drilling. Some unknown and rather strong, but not in a good way, odors. I'm thinking it might have been a slaughterhourse/tannery. After about 7 hours of eau de farmland, I think my olfactory system has been destroyed, hopefully just temporarily.

2. The Sounds. There are very few places in the US where a radio listener will hear a live broadcast from the Chicago Board of Trade discussing future corn supply and Chinese soybean demand, and five minutes later get an update around the local junior college's baseball season. Though the news was current, the music was not: "The Gambler" by Kenny Rodgers, "Amarillo by Morning" by George Strait, "Cracklin' Rosie" by Neil Diamond and "Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks (twice!). I enjoyed this flashback to 1970s -1990s music scene.

3. The Sights. 1000s of cows. Some brown. Some black. 100s of barns, silos and farmhouses. Some are livable, some should be condemned. 100s of miles of flat farmland. Some had "turned the dirt." Some hadn't. A few dozen horses. 3 wild turkeys...again just hanging out by the side of the interstate.

Once I arrived in downtown Omaha it was a ghost town. I guess the sidewalks really do roll up at 6 p.m.

Next stop: Chicago!!!

No comments: