Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 3: Rocky Mountain High

Miles: 250~
States: 1 - Colorado
Tolls: None!
Highway Patrol: 2

Late start, questionable weather and mini mini-van not necessarily a recipe for success when planning to drive over and through the largest and highest mountain range in the "lower 48." Thankfully, mother nature, my silver slug (my automobile) and my lead foot came together in perfect harmony. Unfortunately my phone/camera/GPS was singing off key throughout some rather winding, rainy mountainous roads. It should be noted that I have a rather co-dependent relationship with this multitasking device....actually, I'm not sure how "co" the relationship is... I'm dependent on it and it tolerates me.

Visions of getting lost in the Rockies and becoming a 21st century Donner Party tragedy passed through my head. (Yes, I know the Donner's dinner party was a California event, but there could still be some parallels.) I tried the ol' helpdesk secret of turning it off, but it wouldn't turn off or turn on. It wouldn't do anything. Due to seasonal road construction (Murphy's law was certainly at play), I was unable to pull over to properly fix it, which at this point was to throw it on the ground and curse at it.

Then after 3 minutes of terror and anger, it beeped and it was functioning! Was this just a game for it to show me how much I need it? Am I empowering an inanimate object to have too much sway in my life?

The day ended on a much happier note: dinner with an old high school friend, her husband and their adorable 4 year old son.

Next stop: A very long drive to Omaha.

No comments: