Saturday, August 30, 2008

Day 6 (evening): Rodeo

Videos will be posted when I have a stronger connection...

Even though I lived in Tucson for 7 years, I never attended a rodeo. That has changed. On Thursday I joined about 150 people to watch bull & horse riders, calf ropers and barrel racers from the local ranch families compete. We were assured that the results of that night would place an "important" part in the weekened finals.

Not really sure what I expect I watched with baited breath. The first event: bare-back horse riding... 3 of the 4 competitors either got scores of zero or were disqualified. So the guy who won, basically did by default. This was going to be a short night. The night continued in this way. Typically about 50% of the contestants in each competition were eliminated due to zero scores or disqualification.

The most endearing thing about the rodeo (yes, rodeoes can be endearing), was that some of the participants were about 8 years old, and were making their rodeo debut. Though they didn't score well, they always got the loudest applause.

The "highlight" of rodeo is the bull riding competition. This particular event determines who is "the man" in the rodeo, even if "the man" is 12 years old. Let me repeat that, 12 years old. There were two 12 year olds riding bulls. I can't really comment on that besides to say: huh.

The thing I remembered most was a joke one of the rodeo clowns said (I will try to repeat it verbatim): "What does a redneck, a hurricane and a tornado have in common? Someone's goin' be missin' a trailer"

No comments: