Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 1 & 2: Wisconsin, Minnesota & South Dakota

Day 2 stats:
Miles: 365
Number of highway patrol spotting: 3
Tolls: 0

I may switch to posting every other day...I think exhaustion from the past few weeks is starting to set-in...

But I do want to give highlights:

Hustlerfest, the calendar of events says it all. One question though, what is a "Chicken Poop Contest"?

(For those who can't read it, the list of events include:
Pie Eating
Bale Throwing (Men & Women)
Chicken Throw (Women, Kids & Men)
Nail Driving
Fiddlestix [a country band]
Bingo
Parade
Chicken Poop)


Drive through Minnesota...my friend Beth said it was really flat. It is. Really. Flat. I really missed the rolling hills of Wisconsin. And I was disappointed that one of the three natural prairies in the world is now the "corn belt," and the prairie is gone. [The other prairies are in Argentina and Russia.]

Random road signs:
"La Crosse, Wisconsin's ELVIS EXPLOSION Sept 5, 6 & 7" -- 3 days of Elvis in La Crosse??

"Johnson & Doerhoefer, PA, Certified Public Accountants" -- nothing terribly interesting about that except for sign sharing the same billboard and the building the sign was on: "The Beer Depot, A Large Selection of Beer, Wine & Liquor"

"Kum & Go" -- a chain of gas stations. I so want to make a pithy comment about this one, but I'll leave it up to you....

"Plain, Wisconsin" - town road sign. The town itself was very picturesque...all 5 blocks of it....

"Kiester, Minnesota" - town road sign. Never saw the town, but I hope it over compensates for its naming misfortune.

Upon arriving in South Dakota, I was getting sleepy...so much flat, straight road will do that to ya! I thought it would be best to see at least one "site" before going to my Victorian mansion bed & breakfast. The one site happened to be next door to the B&B - the Pettigrew Home & Mansion. It was the home of South Dakota's first US Senator (coincidentally enough Sioux Falls is home to one of South Dakota's current US Senators). Mr. Pettigrew was considered a "collector" of objects....today he wold be considered a thief or a looter.

Next up....the Corn Palace, the Badlands....

No comments: